Welcome to BTJeff's Smoking Network. Click here to register and gain FULL access to Site!

Buying your first pack

Nothing is More Hot than reading about that First Smoke! Share it Here and Re-Live the First Time!
Forum rules
This forum is devoted exclusively to sharing our individual gay male Smoke Starts & fetish evolution. It is the ONLY permanent collection of it's kind on the internet.

It is also the most popular revisited forum on this website.

So ... light up, and tell us how you got started smoking and even how your fetish evolved.

Buying your first pack

Postby davedaiton » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:02 am

Most of us started our tobacco journey by bumming cigarettes off friends or stealing a cigarette from our parents pack. What were the circumstance of you actually buying your first pack? How old were you? What did it cost? Where did you buy it---store or cigarette machine? How soon after your smoked your first cigarette did you buy your first pack? Were you nervous buying your first pack? Did you have any realization then that that would be your first pack of thousands that you'd buy?
davedaiton
Resident

Re: Buying your first pack

Postby Marbs4ever » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:20 pm

What were the circumstance of you actually buying your first pack?
By the end of 6th grade there were several kids in my class who were already smoking. So, I decided it was time to try it for myself. Bought myself a pack of Marlboro Reds to try it out.

How old were you?
Almost 12

What did it cost?
$.80

Where did you buy it---store or cigarette machine?
Store

How soon after your smoked your first cigarette did you buy your first pack?
Before

Were you nervous buying your first pack?
A little

Did you have any realization then that that would be your first pack of thousands that you'd buy?
After I smoked a few I knew it would be.
Marbs4ever
Resident

Postby nerdsmoker » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:37 pm

How old were you?

What did it cost?

Machine at an all night laundry.

a few weeks

yes

Did you have any realization then that that would be your first pack of thousands that you'd buy?
I knew before I ever touched a cig that I was a life long smoker.
nerdsmoker

Postby redgreen47 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:32 pm

How old were you?

What did it cost?
Don't remember. Certainly less than 50 cents.

At a deli.

I had my first cigarette when I was 10 - so about 2 years.

Yes, very. I remember going through a whole explanation to the deli clerk that I was buying them for my mother. I thought he believed me, although thinking about it now, I'm sure he knew I was lying.

I certainly hoped so. I didn't know what a fetish was at that time or even that I was gay. But I did know that smoking turned me on and that I wanted to be a daily smoker.

Great topic idea. Thanks.
redgreen47
Contributor

Postby davedaiton » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:56 am

I was 18 when I bought my first pack. I had been bumming cigarettes from my college roommate who taught me how to smoke, first week, freshman year in college. I bought my first pack after bumming from him for 3-4 days. There was a cigarette machine in the smoking lounge at the dorm at college. I think cigarettes were $1.60. I wasn't really nervous. I was sort of embarrassed bumming cigarettes from him and decided to buy my own. I was only planning to smoke when out with friends or when drinking. Within a couple of weeks, I'd go down the the lounge to smoke because I was getting the urge even though sometimes no one was in the lounge. When I came back from Xmas vacation, I was out of cigarettes. There was a new machine in the lounge but they had raised the price to $1.75! I wasn't going to pay that much but after abstaining all evening, I got up at 2am and went to the lounge to fetch a new pack. Little did I realize that that first pack was the first of thousands I'll buy in my lifetime.
davedaiton
Resident

Postby red100smoker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Hey David.

Your experience was very similar to mine, also had a smoking roommate freshman year, loved to bum smokes from him but knew I needed to buy my own too, we also had a cigarette machine in my my dorm (miss those days) and finally after a few days in college bought my own - was so great to become a smoker and so many of my college buddies were smoking then, miss those days too!! Happy smoking man!!

Mike
red100smoker

Postby Bensonboy1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:47 am

How old were you. . .

How much were they. .
2 Irish pounds.

Where did I buy them. .
Local shop (said they were for my dad, I bought the same brand he smoked so they they wouldn't question it!

I had to buy a really strong brand cause my dad smoked them, how they didn't put me off smoking I don't know, when I started sedcondary school the following year I changed to Benson, there was a little shop beside the school and it wad owned by an old man who would sell single cigarettes, you could smoke them in the shop and at lunchtime you couldn't see inside for the clouds of smoke. I was a goodie so I didn't smoke in front of my friends at the time but when school was over at 4pm there would be nobody at all in the shop with him and I would go in at that time buy a pack and ask him to light me up (I always would have a lighter with me but I loved being lit up by him n smoking n chatting with him till I finished the cig

Benson
Bensonboy1
Contributor

Postby redsnphils » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:38 pm

I was 14 or 15, before then I took from my parents or stole them from the store--in that time it was easy, they had single pack racks in the checkout line just like the candy. One time I walked through a closed station and copped 4 packs of Marlboro Reds, one in each pocket of my jeans. Oh, the good old days. Anyway, my first purchase was a machine at a gas station, nervous as hell and pissed off that I had to pay an "outrageous" 25 cents. Now , this was '65 or '66, gas was 30/cents a gallon, a 12oz Coke was thirteen cents, a McDonald's hamburger was 15 cents. So, 25 cents seemed like a lot.

Still smoke Marlboro Reds, fired up with a Zippo, of course.
redsnphils
Contributor

Postby joshpayne » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:38 am

I had been smoking regularly almost 3 months…but up until then my uncle an my cousin's husband bought marbs for me when they bought a pack or two of their own.

How old were you?
Almost 12

What did it cost?
$.75

Candy Store

about 3 months

Not at all..in those days…they thought they were for your parents

Absolutely!!!
joshpayne
Resident

Postby northcoastsf » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:22 pm

[quote="nerdsmoker"]How old were you?

What did it cost?

Vending machine in an Apt Bldg

My first cigarette was from the 1st pack I bought

Yes, I always bought them in the middle of night, so there would be less chance of being seen.

I knew I wanted to be addicted and would smoke for the rest of my life when I started.
northcoastsf

Postby robrookt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:02 am

How old were you?

What did it cost?
Around $ 1.50

Gas station

2-3 months

Yes, was afraid they wouldn't sell it to me.

Not really, I was one of those kids who thought he would only smoke for a while and than quit.
robrookt

Postby RedsXhaler » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:22 pm

My father was running out of cigarettes and called me over and gave me a dollar, told me if I'd run down to the corner store to pick up a pack for him I could use the change and buy myself some candy.

How old were you?

What did it cost?
Somewhere around 60 or 70 cents

Store

It was the opposite. I bought the first pack about 6 months before I smoked my first cigarette. Once I'd made that first run for my Dad, he began to send me regularly, and it took me about 6 months to do what I'd wanted to the day I bought that first pack for him.

Yes, actually very. I had been saving money from my "candy change" so that day I asked for two packs of Marlboro Reds. I felt breathless, my heart was racing, I figured the owner knew the second pack was for me. Of course, even if he did (which I now realize he didn't) he wouldn't have given a crap, there were no rules back then.

Not that day, but it took me about a week to smoke that pack and then I was back again at the store, and as I remember, my second pack I just went in to buy for myself, my Dad hadn't asked me to get him any. And that day, I realized, I was a smoker now, and I would be buying cigarettes forever.
RedsXhaler
Contributor

Postby jbreds » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:16 pm

davedaiton wrote:Most of us started our tobacco journey by bumming cigarettes off friends or stealing a cigarette from our parents pack. What were the circumstance of you actually buying your first pack? How old were you? What did it cost? Where did you buy it---store or cigarette machine? How soon after your smoked your first cigarette did you buy your first pack? Were you nervous buying your first pack? Did you have any realization then that that would be your first pack of thousands that you'd buy?

Circumstances: I was a college freshman and my roommates started smoking. I decided to join them, since the thought of smoking got me boned ever since I can remember.

Cost: 35 cents for a pack of Winstons

How soon after I started smoking? I had never smoked before. I decided to give it a try and bought a pack.

Was I nervous? Hell yes! I bought from a machine precisely so I wouldn't have to deal with a human clerk. Then, I accidentally left my wallet (the kind with a change compartment - anyone else remember those?) on top of the machine and had to return red-faced to retrieve it.

Did I realize it would be the first of thousands? No. I smoked off and on through college and into my twenties and early thirties - a classic "social smoker". Since I was a fetisher from the beginning (though I didn't realize that until much later) a certain amount of smoking was part of my coming out process. I didn't get hooked until my restart (also fetish related) in my mid-fifties. But that's a whole nother story.
jbreds
Resident

Return to Smokin Starts - An Internet Exclusive!!!